Termites are found across most of the U.S. and pose a constant risk of termite infestation. Unfortunately, there may not be any warning signs of termite damage. However, there are several things you can look for to detect the presence of termites.
Signs of termites include:
- Termites swarm (flying termites emerging from the colony) often after a rainfall event.
- Termite damage or evidence in or around windows and doorframes.
- Termite damage or activity at wood-to-soil contact areas of the structure.
- Shelter tubes appear on or around the foundation.
- Baseboards and floors may sound hollow.
- Dead termites or termite wings on windowsills or along walls.
The best way to determine the potential presence of termites in your home is with a thorough home inspection from a pest management professional.